Saturday, March 6, 2010

Status Update - Arrival in Haiti

Hey all. Just thought I'd post a summary of my first day in Haiti. I don't have a lot of time because I'm writing from a little mountain village named Baudin on a computer powered by solar panels and there's not a lot of sun today. My flight yesturday went very smoothly - going through customs at the Port au Prince airport was not a problem. As soon as we walked out of the aiport, we were mobbed with kids asking for a dollar. Even though I had followed the news closely and saw a lot of pictures, I was surprised how much damage there was. However, plenty of people were out in the streets and makets selling things. Hopefully I can post some pictures soon. I am spending the current week surveying earthquake damage in the village of Baudin. We are staying in a 15' x 15' tent that has four beds and is nice. Today we looked at the rectory to see if we could savage it. The building construction is obviously not as good as in the US. I will admit that when I got here I first felt a little overwhelmed but have since calmed down and become calmer. Our translator Martin, who I have become good friends with (he was a translator for my last trip as well) is going to help me get settled when I return to Port au Prince. I will try to update and post more pictures later.

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you buddy! Keep us posted.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Patrick,

    Good to hear you made it safely. Hope you have a good week and keep us posted.

    Love,
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you got there in one piece! I will be keeping you in my prayers!
    Much Love!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're there safe. Sorry about the late response.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PatiO, I'm glad you made it all right. Can't wait to read about your travels :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is such an exciting trip you got to take i bet its amazing to get to be there to help the people first hand!

    ReplyDelete